Monday, January 22, 2018

10 inspiring women you should be following

     In light of the Women's March this past weekend I thought I would put together a list of women who inspire me. Some of these women I have looked up to years, some are new. They are actresses, business owners, poets, artists, yogis and activists. Most importantly they are women who are inspiring other women with their platforms and their messages.


Oprah

A post shared by Oprah (@oprah) on

     Even before her epic speech at the Golden Globes I loved Oprah. From the time I was a little girl watching the Oprah Winfrey Show she made me believe I could do anything. She has always represented so much more the success and money, she represents hope. There was no way I could make a list of inspiring women and not include her.

Adriene Mishler



     Finding Adriene on YouTube literally changed my life. When I was looking into yoga I stumbled upon her channel and I've been following her ever since. Her videos are so much more than just yoga, they've forced me to sit in my feelings and evaluate how I'm feeling and why I feel that way. Finding her put me on a path for a healthy life, mentally, physically and spiritually.

Rupi Kaur

A post shared by rupi kaur (@rupikaur_) on

     When I read Rupi Kaur's first book Milk and Honey I felt like someone finally got it. It was as if she was in my head writing all the things I didn't know how to explain. She has inspired me to start writing again and be completely unapologetic about how I feel.

Sophia Amoruso
A post shared by Sophia Amoruso (@sophiaamoruso) on

     Sophia Amoruso is the embodiment of hard work pays off. She didn't come from money and she didn't go to college but she is a major success story. When I read her book #Girlboss  it made the idea of achieving success seem a little more realistic. I felt like I could relate to the way she started. She made me realize that I didn't need a fancy degree or a trust fund. I just need to work hard, show up and treat people with respect. It's such a simple thought but sometimes you just need to hear it from someone who has been where you are.

Muniba Mazari



     Muniba Mazari's story is so inspiring. When an accident left her paralyzed and wheelchair bound she didn't give up. She changed her entire life and decided to stop wasting her life being unhappy. She is now a speaker, artist and humanitarian. She uses her story and platform to help others and inspire others to do more.

Danielle Brooks

A post shared by Danielle Brooks (@daniebb3) on

     You may know Danielle Brooks from OITNB. Aside from being an extremely talented actress, singer and performer she is an inspiring voice. She uses her platform and notoriety to speak about important social issues with so much passion and grace.

Dana Falsetti

A post shared by Dana Falsetti (@nolatrees) on

     When I started following Dana Falsetti I felt empowered. It was the first time I saw a woman with my body type that was completely unapologetic about being who she was. She made it ok for me to feel ok about my body. For the first time ever there was someone that looked like me living a life I had only dreamed about.

 Nayyirah Waheed

A post shared by @nayyirah.waheed on

     Nayyirah Waheed is the kind of writer that makes you feel all of the uncomfortable but necessary feelings. Her writing is raw and heavy but uplifting at the same time. Salt. is a book I think every woman needs to read. It changed how I look at everything, from the world around me to my opinion of my own body.

Ernestine Johnson


     Ernestine Johnson is an actress and activist. She radiates confidence and power. Whether it's through her online platform, when she's speaking or on the front lines of protests she inspires me to do something. She makes me think about what I can be doing in my everyday life to make the world a better place for everyone.

Meghan Tonjes


     Meghan Tonjes is a YouTube creator that has used her channel to talk about real issues. She talks about everything from politics to inequality to body shaming. Her channel is not just her talking to a camera, she has created a community of people and a conversation.

0 comments:

Post a Comment